Friday, June 19, 2009

Week #5 Eureka moment

My favorite aunt and her husband recently had a beautiful babygirl and I had the pleasure of babysitting her this week. Through a conversation with them, I found out that my aunt was able to take maternity leave for three months. When I asked my uncle if he was able to get anytime off from work, he said barely a week. His boss was giving him such a hard time about the situation and I was very shocked. But apparently, the time that my uncle would be taking off would greatly affect the work being done in the company and the boss basically made that decision for him. I was wondering if the same decision would have been made for a female employee. I highly doubt it. There ar times that men endure certain things and can't speak up. If he had taken this up with his boss, he could have risked losing his job and he couldnt afford to do that considering he has a newborn to raise. Do people feel that there are great burdens that men face sometimes based on the roles dictated to them by society? Is there a different type of sexism in the workplace when it comes to paternity leave?

No comments:

Post a Comment